It seems my recent postings about my aggrevation involving John Stevens from American Idol upset a few of my readers out there. Instead of replying to all of the messages/email I received over the two posts individually I figured I’d make a single rebuttal here. First let’s look over some of the better ones.
“with (sic) all that is going on in this world today, I just dont understand how someone can have so much hate. John Stevens seems like a great kid and even though he maybe wasnt cutout (sic) for THIS competition, he does have talent and can sing. He is just a kid you guys. Give him a break.” (Posted by lisa Garrison on Apr 29, 2004 at 05:43 EDT)
“Talk about an asshole have you looked in the mirror lately? He might not have the best voice on the show, but his personality is one of the better ones, which is more than I can say about yours. You hide behind a website. We cant even see your face, too ugly is it? And did it ever occur to you that this is only a reality tv show, what is up with you?” (Posted by Jill on May 2, 2004 at 07:54 EDT)
“so (sic) john (sic) isnt (sic) the greatest singer, hes an amazing person. if (sic) he put out a swing album rite (sic) now, i (sic) would buy it and i (sic) know alot (sic) of other people who would to. maybe (sic) he just doesnt (sic) appeal to you but he doesnt (sic) suck. and diana degarmo (sic) is such a good singer. youll (sic) have to wait a long time before she gets voted off” (Posted by Anita on Apr 28, 2004 at 10:01 EDT)
“I just wanted to express my opinions about your site and your john stevens (sic) bashing views. I would hope that you would keep in mind that this young man was only 16. He had the balls to go in front of God and everybody to do what he likes to do. He took criticism with an open mind, which you might want to have too.” (Email from Tiffany)
First off, I didn’t know any girls except my Mom and fiancee read this site. For that matter I didn’t know anyone read this site, though I do get a whopping 100 hits or so a day (Google here I come!). At any rate here is my rebuttal(s) in a nice easy-to-digest format.
- For the last time: not once did I say John Stevens was a bad person in *any* of my posts. Go ahead and look them over again … (waiting for you to look them over) … see! Not a single mention that John is a bad person. In fact, I think he’s probably one of the nicest guys I’ve never met personally.
- Having said the above, I’d like to point out that his singing talent is both underdeveloped and singulary. He’s only truly good at singing Rat Pack type songs. As I’ve said to others who watch this show; he’d have won if this was American Idol 1955, but it’s not. He consistently garnered unfavorable reviews when singing any other type of music and, in fact, barely got good reviews when it was his genre of music.
- I completely agree that John took every thrashing from the Judges like a man and with a great attitude (Who wouldn’t? He’s having the time of his life for sure). Simon said this much during his last review.
- I’m not an asshole for expressing my opinion on his lack of singing abilities. By attacking me personally you make yourselves no better than what you say I am.
- You can view my pictures online in the section at the top of this page clearly marked “photos”.
At any rate, there is/are my argument(s). Thank you to all who responded. I think it’s funny that I regularily blog about hot topics such as gay rights and the war in Iraq without so much as a peep from my readers (all 10 of you), but when I say a guy sucks at singing the whole damn site lights up. Odd.
Note: (sic) means “Thus; so. Used to indicate that a quoted passage, especially one containing an error or unconventional spelling, has been retained in its original form or written intentionally.”