Ever since Bush’s crappy foreign policy, horrible stance on the environment and the consisten eroding of my rights made me mad I’ve been shopping for a political party to register as and vote for. Easy you say. Wrong. Both Democrats and Republicans play to special interests, generally abuse the government and, overall, suck. So who do you vote for?
You vote for a viable alternative.
The Libertarian Party is an interesting hybrid of the Democratic and Republic platform, most of which are common sense. The end result is a great platform that includes all sorts of things I agree with and a few I don’t.
- They would eliminate the income tax. How? By drastically reducing the size of the federal government. This includes ending military welfare to defend countries like Japan and NOT bailing out failing industries.
- They promote the legalization of drugs as a way to both reduce crime and reduce tax burden (no war on drugs means we don’t have to pay for tons of DEA agents).
- Privatize the running, control and operations of federally protected lands to such environmental groups as the Nature Conservancy.
- Abolish foreign aid.
- Abolish Social Security. I like this idea the more I think about it. Let ME invest my money how I see fit – I don’t need the government’s help.
- They aggressively believe in freedom of speech, which includes staunch support for the free and unrestricted use of cryptography and censorship.
- Abolish the current welfare system.
All of the above makes a ton of sense to me. Who better to run our nation’s parks than the tree hugging hippies? How better to get rid of the violence the drug trade produces than to make it legal? The running theme throughout the entire platform is that the people who vote Libertarian do so because we trust people to run their own lives. It’s a party that promotes responsibility.
They have a great ad on their site that says the following.
I’m George W. Bush and you can trust ME to run your life.
I’m John Kerry and you can trust ME to run your life.
I’m Ralph Nader and you can trust ME to run your life.
I’m Michael Badnarik and I trust YOU to run your own life.
Classic. So this year I’m voting for the Libertarian Party and I highly suggest you look into it as a viable alternative.